Mt. Baker From Mt. Constitution

3.24.2009

The Taste of Spring

This spring break, I headed home to the Bay Area in California for some fun in the sun, before heading off to cold Michigan for my Grandma's birthday. The first day I got home, I planned to go with my uncle, but not run, since I'd been running a lot the whole week before. But, when we got to gym, I felt that itch, the trail was calling! I headed out for a run in the sun!

All the runners we saw on the way to gym had on longsleeves and shorts, it was a bit windy out, but at 68 degrees, I knew I'd be fine in my shorts and tank top. I put on my ipod, which was weird since I'm used to running with friends, or without music, and headed out of the parking lot. The first thing I noticed was the severe lack of trees along the road. Since California is more dry then Seattle, I expected this, but the sun was really beating down on me, making me so glad I left the long sleeve at home. As I headed up the one "hill" on my route, I realized how lucky I am to run in such a great beautiful green city (Seattle of course) with so many trails near by, rather than the desert like climate of my home (but it is alwasy nice to come home from Seattle in winter and be able to run in the sun).

Despite the lack of trees, the sun on my back felt fantastic and I cannot wait until it gets nice enough in Seattle to run in shorts and a tee shirt along the water and admire the view.

I hope its not freezing in MI, where I'm headed next to run, undoubabtly wishing I was still in the California sun!

~Soph

No comments:

Post a Comment